Tuesday, May 18, 2010

cats

I am very sorry to say that our fourth orange cat was evicted Sunday morning. She peed on a guitar case that was in our bathtub, drying out from the soaking I gave it. I had soaked it in one of those sprays for cat pee. You know the kind you use on the carpet, so they won't smell it and pee there again. Well I had soaked it so much that I had it air drying in the tub. She peed on it and I heard her scratching around it trying to cover up. I promptly put her on the porch.

I really feel for her. She was terrified. But I just will not tolerate anymore peeing. And I won't tolerate the eight litter boxes it took to keep five cats from peeing. I am still finding litter all over the house.

At least for the moment..... I did talk to someone over the weekend who successfully keeps seven cats (most of them unrelated to each other) in her home and has very few problems. She swears by feliway or something like that. It's a cat hormone thingy. You plug it in the wall outlet and it sends out this scent that calms everybody down. I may try it and see if we can have a compromise of inside/outside cats. That is what I grew up with and we never had litter boxes!

And I know anybody can keep seven cats in a house. But they have to have a clean house that has minimal cat peeing issues in order for me to listen to them! This is my friend's parents house, and she goes and visits willing, so I know the house is clean even with seven cats. They do at times have one cat who starts to get testy and sprays, and then they use more of the feliway stuff in a spray bottle and it settles down again. Although her Dad said this cat was skating on thin ice and could end up outside. They have four outside cats who have heat pads in their cat house on the porch, so I'm not sure the cat would mind being booted out!

So that leaves Collin's Dandelion in the house. We're leaving the door open and we'll see what happens with her. She has tried to venture out in the past, but something always startles her. I think she'll come out of her shell eventually.

I will say that the cat who was evicted Sunday seems to have recovered OK and is actually venturing out of the porch as of Monday.

If you can believe it the kids tried to kidnap a friends cat last week! I don't think they are seeing the big picture! I will not take another cat!!

No comments: