So I mentioned to my Mom about some hives down the road and how they looked as if they hadn't been attended in bit. So she asked the farmer across from the field whose hives they were. And from there we ended up purchasing two hives and two packages of bees from "the Honey Lady". She sells her honey at the local Farmer's Markets.
The bees showed up on Sunday, so I picked up the hives and the bees Sunday afternoon. And then I got to apply theory to action. I have great memories of honey bees as a child, and no experience as an adult!
The bees are shipped in a wire cage, with a can of sugar solution that acts as the stopper to their cage too. The queen is also in the cage, but she's in her own little wire cage, within the main cage.
We set them up on a pallet under a crab apple tree that I remodeled on Sat. (see Mom's blog)
The hives are used, the lady's bees disappeared for some unknown reason. So she sold me two hives with frames. Here we're checking the frames to see what all is one them. She gave me several frames loaded with honey, so I don't have to worry about feeding them supplemental sugar water while they're getting established.
So guys are your ready? Hmmmm......I think they look wet enough........here goes.......
Here I'm pulling the can out so I can dump the bees into the hive.
It didn't go so well.....but the good news is that they eventually left on their own later. Here I'm sliding the queen's cage out of the package.
One down, one to go.....
One last look.....
And we're done. For the moment. Tomorrow I get to open up the hive and see if all went as planned and the queen is out of her cage and the bees are doing OK. Then every ten days, if all is going well, I get to check on them for the next month or so.
Then the end plan is that we'll be able to pull some honey this fall and enjoy it this winter. I'll keep you posted.

5 comments:
Well done! Now if I had only gotten the shot of you working with the bees and frames barehanded...confident and quiet, that's the way to do it! Hmmmmm- I wonder, what does this bring the total "livestock" number to...
What a women!! You are a lot Braver than I am!!! I am just not a fan of large welts all over my body (just kidding) good luck!!
What a woman, indeed! Loved reading about this and seeing all the pics. Very nice!
I should have looked at this before I talked with you guys tonight. I am amazed at the number of "projects" you guys take on. Good luck with this one. I'm afraid I agree with Than!!
Very beautiful...boy does that bring back memories!
Post a Comment